The CNC Machinist will work with the Programmer, Manufacturing Engineer, and design team to manufacture high-quality surgical instruments, implants, measurement gauges, and fixtures. This employee will ensure that the parts produced from the manufacturing process are made to specification and provide evidence via an inspection sheet. The employee will set up machine tools, fixture work pieces, operate machines, and perform post-processing procedures.
- Set up and operate CNC (Haas) and conventional machine tools used for high precision milling, turning, and grinding operations of stainless steel, titanium, super-alloy, and various plastic materials.
- Perform routine maintenance per daily machine checklist and adhere to the Preventive Maintenance schedule.
- Perform hand finishing and post processing assignment per drawing standards.
- Always follow Good Manufacturing and Good Document Practices (GMP/GDP) including completion of job routers.
- Ensure safe working practices are carried out to minimize risks to the job holder and/or colleagues, including identifying and reporting Safety, Health & Environmental issues.
- Achieve set productivity targets and identify ways of improving productivity.
- Identify and support Continuous Improvement activities.
- Identify and escalate manufacturing issues to the Team Leader and/or Supervisor, participating in the resolution as required.
- Maintain 5S/housekeeping standards within work area.
- Work with the engineers and technicians to assure manufacturability of orthopedic surgical instruments, implants, and test fixture designs.
- Use precision measuring equipment to verify machined parts meet specified dimensional requirements and tolerances.
- Provides basic machining and metalworking training and mentorship to less skilled employees.
- 5+ years’ experience as machinist of precision components
- Associates degree/certificate in Tooling & Machining or Machinist apprenticeship preferred.
- Able to read and interpret engineering drawings and specifications
- Experience using precise measuring equipment to verify parts are within tolerance
- Effective at planning, prioritizing, and organizing tasks and activities with the ability to deal with competing demands within specified timescale
- Basic computer skills